NBC, Fox News and Facebook have pulled a television advertisement on immigration, endorsed by US President Donald Trump, which critics said was racist.
- The ad suggested criminals could be among the migrant caravan heading towards the US
- It was broadcast during a primetime NFL game, watched by millions on NBC
- It was also being run on Fox News and as a paid ad on Facebook
The primetime ads ran during the broadcast of a Sunday night NFL game, and linked Luis Bracamontes, an undocumented immigrant convicted of killing two sheriff’s deputies in California in 2014, to the caravan of immigrants fleeing Central America.
The ad was placed on the popular football broadcast on NBC to encourage voters to choose candidates from Mr Trump’s Republican party in midterm elections that will determine whether Republicans retain control of the US Congress.
Fox News and Facebook were also running the advertisement, which CNN had earlier rejected on the grounds that it was “racist”.
NBC’s decision to run the ad during the highly anticipated game between the New England Patriots and the Green Bay Packers was criticised on Twitter.
Apatow tweet NBC
Debra Messing tweet
Dyan Byers tweet
NBC later said it would pull the advertisement as soon as possible due to its “insensitive nature”.
“After further review we recognise the insensitive nature of the ad and have decided to cease airing it across our properties as soon as possible,” an NBC spokesperson said.
Fox News, which had also been running the ad, issued a statement about taking it down shortly after NBC, according to a CNN report.
“Upon further review, Fox News pulled the ad yesterday and it will not appear on either Fox News Channel or Fox Business Network,” Marianne Gambelli, Fox News’ president of advertisement sales, told CNN in a statement.
Fox News was not immediately reachable for further comment.
Facebook has also decided to stop selling advertising space to the clip, although users will still be able to share it on their accounts.
“This ad violates Facebook’s advertising policy against sensational content so we are rejecting it,” a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement.
Mr Trump’s campaign manager, Brad Parscale, tweeted that NBC News, CNN and Facebook had chosen “to stand with those ILLEGALLY IN THIS COUNTRY”.
Mr Parscale said the media was trying to control what Americans see and think. He made no mention of Fox News’s decision.